YOUTH GROUP LESSON ON CHOICES
Lesson Overview: Everyday we’re faced with choices — big and small. How do we know what to choose? How do we know which direction to go? This Youth Group Lesson unpacks how asking God for His wisdom is the best way to make choices in our everyday lives.
Bible: Proverbs 14:12; James 1:5; Romans 12:2
Bottom Line: You will make the best choice when you ask God for wisdom.
Capture: Grab their attention with an illustration.
- Illustration/Story: Have you ever had to make an impossible decision? Like you’re at a restaurant, and you have to choose between two delicious desserts? Ok ok, maybe that’s not an “impossible decision.” Have your students yell out some actual hard decisions they’ve had to make. Keep it lighthearted and get the crowd or group involved.
- Sometimes the decisions we make are really difficult! It could be about doing the right thing when no one is watching, or it could be deciding between two different life-changing paths…
Connect: Connect them to God’s word.
- Tension Question: Life is full of choices…how do you know the best one to make? Tonight, we’re going to see what Scripture has to say about how we should make decisions and handle the choices we face each and every day.
- Scripture: Proverbs 14:12 — The way that seems right isn’t always the best way to go. In fact, sometimes the very choice that seems right the like one leads to destruction. So how do we know which choice to make?
Consider: What does this mean for us today?
- Scripture: James 1:5 — Thankfully, there’s a really simple solution to this conundrum! It isn’t always easy, but it is simple. When we are stumped and we don’t know what choice to make, Scripture says that we should ask God to give us wisdom.
- God wants to give us wisdom! He doesn’t want to leave us stumbling around in the dark; He wants to shed His light on the situations in our lives! We simple need to ask Him for His input.
- So once we’ve asked God for His wisdom, how do we know what the wise choice to make is? Well, sometimes it’s an internal knowing that comes with feeling God’s presence or hearing His voice. Other times, you will find God’s wisdom in His word!
- God’s wisdom will never contradict His word. That’s one of the reasons it’s important we know God’s word well.
- Bottom Line: You will make the best choice when you ask God for wisdom.
Collide: How do we apply this in our lives?
- Scripture: Romans 12:2 — You are not called to make choices like the rest of our culture does. You are called to live a transformed life with a transformed mind.
- Look at your situation or the decision you’re facing. Is there a choice that is common to culture and is what everyone else is doing? It’s probably not the choice that’s best for you. As a follower of Jesus, you are called to be set apart from culture, not go along with it.
- Story: Share about a time you had a tough decision to make and you asked God for wisdom. What was the outcome of the situation?
- Application: Ask God for wisdom and be obedient to His voice when you hear it.
Call: How do we respond to the message?
- Altar moment: Tonight, I want you to evaluate your life. What are some areas where you need God’s wisdom to show you the path to take? Ask God tonight for the wisdom to make your decision. He wants good things for you, He wants to lead you down the right path, and He wants to give His wisdom do you generously!
- Small Group Questions:
- What was one of the hardest decisions you’ve ever had to make? Why was it so difficult?
- How do you recognize God’s wisdom when you hears it?
- Have you ever asked God for wisdom? What was the outcome?
- What are some areas you need God’s wisdom in in your life this week?Enjoyed this Youth Group Lesson?
We have an entire sermon series library loaded with resources like this at YouthPastor.co.
All of our sermon series include 👇
✅ Sermon Series Graphics (JPG/PSD)
✅ Sermon Builder Curriculum (PDF)
✅ Small Group Materials (PDF)
✅ Social Media Graphics (Story/Feed)
✅ Sermon Bumper Video (MP4-Below)
Check Out YouthPastor.co
Each month, Youth Pastor Co brings together the most creative minds in youth ministry to build sermon series packages that are powerful, relevant, and easy to use. Become a member today and gain access to our ever-growing library of sermon series.
And if there's anything we can do for you, just reach out or schedule a meeting with a team member today!